The General Education Core for the A.A.S. degree has the following minimum requirements:
GENERAL EDUCATION CORE CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS
Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree
- Communication - 9 credits
ENGL101C English I, ENGL151L or ENGL151R or ENGL151T, English II, CMTH102 Speech Communication.
Writing Intensive (WI). Communication skills in writing are further reinforced and assessed in one required writing intensive course (G suffix on course number). A program course to be taken in a writing intensive section. A general education course may be taken if no program course is possible.
- Quantitative Literacy (QL) or Science (SCI) - 3/4 credits
One QL designated course or substitution acceptable to the mathematics department, or one SCI designated course.
- Knowledge of Arts & Cultures - 9 credits
Three courses in at least two of the fields below. Science or Quantitative Literacy substituted for the third course in certain programs:
- Arts & Humanities (AH)
- Social Science, one Societies and Institutions Over Time (SIT) designated course.
- Social Science, one Scientific Study of Human Behavior (SSHB) designated course.
- Undesignated free elective (open to student choice) - 3 credits.
- Computer Literacy (C)
Incorporated in all programs in a manner acceptable to the computer/information science department. Any CISC course or verification of computer literacy outcomes imbedded in courses in certain programs.
- Diversity and Global Awareness (D)
One Diversity and Global Awareness (D) designated course.