Healthcare Office Specialist
Business & Technology
Degree awarded: Certificate
Northampton's Office Administration certificate programs are designed to prepare you to enter a modern office setting in a short time frame. The programs offer career-specific coursework for a student wishing to complete their studies within three full-time semesters. Each program provides course offerings that prepare you to work as a team player in a specialized office environment.
Your studies will include state-of-the-art office equipment and computer software. You will learn the marketable skills required to work effectively with other people in an office environment. We emphasize development of professional attitudes, values, and ethics. As you progress through the program, you'll gain critical thinking, priority setting, and decision-making skills needed in today's quality-oriented business environment.
Graduates of this certificate program often go on to gain employment and then pursue NCC's Healthcare Office Coordinator associate degree.
This program prepares you for the responsibilities and challenges expected of a skilled administrative assistant in a healthcare setting. Responsibilities of a healthcare office specialist include front-office duties, health services coding, and patient insurance reimbursement, but these responsibilities can vary depending on the size of the practice.
Courses for the healthcare pathways include Basics of Human Anatomy and Physiology, CPT Coding Methodology, and PCS Coding Methodologies. We have an excellent record of employment for our graduates in the full range of healthcare settings.
Graduates of this certificate program can also continue on to complete the Healthcare Office Coordinator associate degree with ease.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the program will:
- Identify the appropriate documentation that is required for billing and reimbursement.
- Categorize patient health conditions and treatments to assign proper codes.
- Apply the appropriate coding system: ICD codes to diagnosis/procedures, HCPCS codes to medical equipment, supplies, etc., and CPT codes to procedures for health records and billing.
- Apply patient accounting principles and reimbursements.
- Analyze patient records to maximize reimbursement.
- Utilize software to accomplish work-related tasks accurately and efficiently in a healthcare environment.
- Utilize analytical skills and administrative techniques necessary to organize, prioritize, and manage the flow of confidential information in a healthcare setting.
- Exhibit professionally acceptable attitudes, values & ethics in the healthcare profession.
- Explain the basic human resource management principles as related to the healthcare environment.
Endorsed by Local Employers
Potential employers for those following this healthcare career pathway include:
- Community Health Centers
- Ambulatory Surgical Units
- Outpatient Laboratory Centers
- Physician's Offices
- Urgent Care Centers
- Elder Care Facilities
This program can be completed in the day or evening, on a full or part-time basis.
Please contact the Admissions Office at 610.861.5500 or email@example.com for further information.
Healthcare Office Specialist
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|BIOS130||Basics of Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|OFAD101||Keyboarding & Formatting I||3|
|ACCT100||Accounting for Non-Accountants||3|
|CISC101||Introduction to Computers||3|
|HCOA172||Health Insurance Basics||3|
|HCOA175||ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding Methodologies||3|
|HCOA176||CPT Coding Methodology||3|
|BUSA226||Human Resource Management||3|
|HCOA177||Health Information Technology||3|
|HCOA240||Medical Office Management Procedures||3|
|HCOA270||Advanced Coding for Medical Services||3|
|HCOA275||Capstone Simulation for Coding||2|
|HCOA276||Diversity & Cultural Competency in Healthcare||2|
Career Potential: Medical Receptionist, Medical Secretary, Medical Administrative Assistant, Patient Coordinator, Medical Billing Clerk, Medical Coder, Medical Records Clerk