Computer Aided Design
Business & Technology
Degree awarded: Associate in Applied Science
Computer Aided Design is the state-of-the-art technology in fields such as industrial design and architecture. Northampton's Computer Aided Design program integrates the specialized knowledge and skills of design with the power, speed and diversity of computers using state-of-the-industry CAD software. This program will prepare you for a variety of positions or offer you valuable training to stay competitive if you are already employed within the field.
As a student in our program, you will learn computer aided design layout and 3D solid modeling definition. You will also gain the knowledge of design and drafting needed for multiple disciplines, including mechanical, civil, architectural and electrical engineering and design.
Most major courses are offered during the day in the fall and spring. All other courses are offered both day and evening.
Courses offer a mix of classroom lecture and hands-on experience in the Computer Aided Design Lab. This well-rounded education will prepare you for a position in today's engineering office environment where computer skills are essential.
As a graduate of Northampton's program, you will be qualified for employment as an entry-level mechanical designer, design drafter, CAD operator or CAD Technician. Professionals in Northampton's placement and counseling offices, as well as instructors within the program, will assist you in meeting your employment and career goals.
If you are a student from an area vocational-technical school, you may receive advanced placement for work completed at the vocational-technical school. If you have had previous related experience, you may challenge some of the introductory courses such as engineering graphics, and receive credit.
Contact the Admissions Office at 610.861.5500 for further information.
Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to work independently and apply interpersonal and technical skills to solve problems.
- Demonstrate proficient drafting and computer skills in using several current industrial standard CAD softwares to create mechanical designs for product parts, assemblies and system configurations, apply appropriate drafting standards, dimensioning and tolerancing for same.
- Demonstrate competent technical writing skills.
- Demonstrate competent speaking skills when working with diverse groups.
- Demonstrate competent technical vocabulary and 2D and 3D CAD drafting and modeling skills applicable to a variety of engineering disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, architectural, and civil engineering.
Computer Aided Design
Associate in Applied Science Degree
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|CISC 101||Introduction to Computers||3|
|ENGG 100||Engineering Graphics||3|
|ENGG 115||Computer Aided Design I||3|
|ENGL 101||English I||3|
|MATH 140||College Algebra||3|
|ENGG 125||Manufacturing Processes||3|
|ENGG 261||Computer Aided Design II||3|
|ENGL 151T||English II (Technical Writing)||3|
|ENGG 205||Parametric Modeling||3|
|CMTH 102||Speech Communication||3|
|EMEC 101||Electrical Fundamentals||3|
|ENGG 220||Design Project||3|
|ENGG 262||Computer Aided Design III||3|
|PHYS 101||Physics I||4|
|ENGG 230||Team Project||3|
|PHYS 151||Physics II||4|
|----------||General Education Elective (AH or SIT)||3|
|----------||General Education Elective (SSHB)||3|
- For the General Education Elective, students must select two courses: one from Arts & Humanities (AH) or Social Science: Society and Institutions over Time (SIT), and one from Social Science: Scientific Study of Human Behavior (SSHB).
- One course should be designated as Diversity and Global Awareness (D).
- Completion of both ENGG 220 and 230 satisfies the Writing Intensive (WI) requirement for this program.
- Computer competencies are included in various courses in this program. Thus, completing the program automatically satisfies the computing requirements for this program.
Career Potential: Mechanical Designer, Design Draftsperson, CAD Technician, CAD Operator, Manufacturing Drafting Technician